Monday, February 12, 2007

Sacred Spaces in Casa Andrew: The Altar of Our Lady of Fatima

Paul of Deo Juvante, in response to a request I had made in some comments, has obligingly posted some photos of his home altar. I, of course, had promised to do the same.

dsc04625

This will be the first of the series of posts titled Sacred Spaces in Casa Andrew. We'll start with the living room first.

dsc04621

Now, if you remember, in my 5 random things meme post, I said that I had 5 altars/oratories/prayer spaces in my house and 3 statues of Our Lady.

dsc04629

Here's one of them. This is the Lady Altar of my house, dedicated to Our Lady of Fatima. The photo above shows the altar when the candles are not lit. The one below shows the candles lit. The lamp is always lit. By the way, the smoke you see in some of the pictures is incense.

dsc04659

dsc04662

The image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus watches over the living room, above the statue of Our Lady. It's an old image and has been watching over our house since I was a small kid.

dsc04632

dsc04666

Here's what the altar looks like at night, when the lights are turned off.

dsc04667

It is before this image of Our Lady of Fatima that I sing the Salve Regina after praying Compline before turning in for the night.

dsc04668
Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae,
vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra, salve.
Ad te clamamus, exsules filii Hevae,
ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
in hac lacrimarum valle.
Eia, ergo, advocata nostra, illos tuos
misericordes oculos ad nos converte;
et Iesum, benedictum fructum ventris tui,
nobis post hoc exilium ostende.
O clemens, O pia, O dulcis Virgo Maria.
Ora pro nobis sancta Dei Genetrix.
Ut digni efficiamur promissionibus Christi.
Hope you've enjoyed this post. What do you think? Comments are most welcome.
Do post photos of your own home altars and do drop me a message if you do so I can take a look.

12 comments:

Vidimusdominum said...

Thanks.

I like the last photo. It's beautiful. Where did you get the statue of our Lady?

Andrew said...

I got the statue of Our Lady of Fatima from Penang during the Feast of St. Anne last year.

I'm glad you like it. I think you're going to like the High Altar in my house too =)

Joyce Wyld said...

It is truly beautiful. Better than some churches i've seen...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Andrew. A real inspiration, thanks.

When you pray tonight, do remember our brothers and sisters in faith in Fatima in the light of this new and abhorrent law.

The Crescat said...

You got more sacred art in your home then in my 1970's minimalist parish.. sadly this is the case in most places.

I have always wanted to do a home altar... maybe if I gather up stuff from each room and stick it in one place. But I like having reminders of my faith in every room. Except the bathroom... lol

Inspiring post.

Matthew said...

Hello!

Thank you for asking to take part in the 2007 Saint for the Year Devotion. I pray that through this devotion, all participants ultimately grow closer to God. You were chosen by St. Michael de Los Santos 04/10.

Please let me know that you receive this message as well as any connections between your saint and you that you would like to share.

Thomas Coolberth said...

This inspires me to go thru with my plan to decorate "my room." Wifey took command of every other room. The good thing about my room and my home altar is that it's gonna be the first thing you see when you walk in the front door.

Andrew said...

Firstly, Moneybags, thanks for letting St. Michael de Sanctis choose me =) I hope that he'll be my special intercessor throughout this year and that his special charism may rub off on me.

Thomas, do drop me a message when you've done setting up your altar. I think home altars are a great Catholic tradition of sanctifying the home and inviting the Lord to make our home His home as well. The High Altar of my house is also the first thing that you can see when passing the front door. I'm building up this series of posts intending them to culminate with the High Altar. Do visit and perhaps you'll get some ideas =)

Carolina, I totally understand what you mean. I have icons, crucifixes and statues all over the house too. But I also try to set up specific oratories as well which are more conducive to prayer. I'll post some photos of the the Sacred Art in my house soon too. Thanks for the inspiration =)

Mr. Smith, I did. It's so sad that people equate progress with the killing of innocents. Our Lady of Fatima, pray for us.

Joyce, thanks. Do let me know what you think when the others come up, ok?

Thanks to all of you for commenting!

The Hymn Selector said...

I would love to get my hands on that statue of our Lady. How tall is it? I have many other white/marble-like statues too coz I think most colour statues for home altars are way too gawdy.

Andrew said...

It's about 2 and a half feet if my estimation is correct.

I assure you that I have no gaudy statues in my home =) I'm a fan of more traditional looking statues.

I think I'll go home tonight and do a post on the crucifix in my room. It's about 4 feet or thereabouts.

Do let me know what you think about it.

Vidimusdominum said...

It's so sad to see so many parishes lose the traditional Catholic Devotional apperance.

X said...

WOW!!!! Inspiring!