Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Sacred Spaces in Casa Andrew: The Altar of The Sacred Heart of Jesus

Here's another glimpse into the Sacred Spaces in Casa Andrew.

dsc04709

After receiving such a good response on my post on the Lady Altar, I’ve decided to highlight another altar in my house, the Altar dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

dsc04675

This oratory is actually in my room and is one of the 'side altars' if you will.

dsc04677

dsc04705

The devotion to the Sacred Heart focuses on Jesus’ divine love for humanity, His Heart burning with love for us. It also stresses the central Christian concept of loving and adoring Jesus. The origin of this devotion in its modern form is derived from a French Catholic nun St. Margaret Marie Alacoque, who learned of the devotion from Jesus who appeared to her in several visions.

dsc04740

The Sacred Heart is depicted as a flaming stylized heart, pierced by the lance-wound, surrounded by a crown of thorns, and bleeding. Jesus' wounded hands are pointing at His heart buring and radiating His love for us. The wounds and crown of thorns allude to the manner of Jesus' death, while the fire represents love.

dsc04737

Many Popes are devoted to the Sacred Heart. Among them, Pope Piux IX who extended this Feast to the Universal Church, Pope Leo XIII who in Annum Sacrum promoted consecration the Sacred Heart, Pope Pius XI who issued Caritate Christi Compulsi on devotion to the Sacred Heart and Pope Pius XII who issued the encyclical, Haurietis Aquas, on the centenary of Pius IX's decree promoting devotion to the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus.

dsc04738

The first few pictures show the altar with its full complement of candles but I found that the central one blocks the view and messes up the focus, so hopefully the subsequent photos are clearer.
dsc04691

dsc04685

dsc04698

Here’s what the altar looks like at night, with the lights turned out.

dsc04683

dsc04746

dsc04711

Another feature of this altar is my favourite icon of Our Lady. The icon is reminiscent of the Icon of Our Mother of Perpetual Succour but is rendered in a more Western style.

dsc04712

There are also 2 crucifixes in front of the statue, with paneled stained glass backing.

dsc04751

What do you think?

dsc04742

Act of Consecration to the Sacred heart of Jesus

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, I consecrate myself to Your Most Sacred Heart. Take possession of my whole being; transform me into Yourself. Make my hands Your hands, my feet Your feet, my heart Your heart. Let me see with Your eyes, listen with Your ears, speak with Your lips, love with Your heart, understand with Your mind, serve with Your will, and be dedicated with my whole being. Make me Your other self. Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, send me Your Holy Spirit to teach me to love You and to live through You, with You, in You and for You.

Come, Holy Spirit, make my body Your temple. Come, and abide with me forever. Give me the deepest love for the Sacred Heart of Jesus in order to serve Him with my whole heart, soul, mind and strength. Take possession of all my faculties of body and soul. Regulate all my passions: feelings and emotions. Take possession of my intellect, understanding and will; my memory and imagination. O Holy Spirit of Love, give me an abundance of Your efficacious graces. Give me the fullness of all the virtues; enrich my faith, strengthen my hope, increase my trust, and inflame my love. Give me the fullness of Your sevenfold gifts, fruits and beatitudes. Most Holy Trinity, make my soul Your sanctuary.
Amen.

8 comments:

Vidimusdominum said...

another beautiful post! will we get to see more?

Andrew said...

Deo volente!

I'm glad you liked it.
This series should continue until we reach the high altar.

Pippo said...

May I recommend you read (although I am sure you have already read) Papa Pacelli's encyclical Haurietis Aquas? One only has to read it, and immediately will be in favour of his canonisation.

The Hymn Selector said...

Now that's what I call a decent-looking coloured statue. However, it is rare to see Our Lord wearing green. I LOVE that icon!

Andrew said...

Emitte, if you read the sidebar of my blog, you'll notice that I'm already advocating his immediate canonization. =) Go Papa Pacelli!

When a Pope named Pius sits the Throne of St. Peter, you know that all heretics will flee for cover. LOL!

Hymn Selector, decent looking indeed! It sure took me a long time finding this one. The others were either quite garishly coloured or the craftsmanship was a bit poor. I have another faux marble one which sits on another altar. But thats another post, hehe.

I love the icon too =) It's one of my favourites.

The Hymn Selector said...

I have a statue of the Sacred Heart that looks just like that, albeit made of faux marble too (white-greyish marble tone).

The Crescat said...

oh the motivation ....

BTW, OLPH is one of my favorites as well.

The Crescat said...

Ok... I still ahvent found the motivation to have a home altar but I did manage to take some picutes of some sacramental certificates from the 30's I have hung in my home... as well as some pictures I am wroking on... if you feel so inclined to take a peek.