Friday, February 16, 2007

True Love

“Life has not been easy but I am never lonely because I have him,” she said.

Yap said couples like them do not know much about lovey-dovey words.

“But I will take care of her until I die because I am her man and she is my woman. Isn’t that enough?” he asked.



Isn't that enough indeed! With St. Valentine's Day just past, I would like to highlight this example of true love. Oftentimes we get young people who profess undying love for each other, marry and then divorce. The words 'I love you' has been so abused that it has been stripped of all its meaning. It has become a catch-phrase, thrown about carelessly.

Love might burn burn hotly for many people, but it might also go out quickly. They must realize that true love is selfless and to be truly in love, we must be prepared to be in it for the long haul, come what may.

The true meaning of love, a love that fulfills the marital oath of fidelity through sickness and health, for richer and for poorer, in good times and in bad, till death do us part, is enfleshed in this couple, Khoo Joo Sian and Yap Hing.

Their love might not be demonstrated in words, little sweet nothings whispered in each others ears, but in deeds that last. Isn't that enough?

KLANG: Between them there are no whispers of sweet nothings, showy kisses of affection or presents on those special occasions.

Love – for Khoo Joo Sian and husband Yap Hing of Taman Kapar here – is about taking turns to sip from the same cup, eating from a single plate and insisting the other take the last piece of vegetable during meals.

Love also means Khoo, 65, holding her husband’s hands tightly and never letting him out of her sight when they are out collecting recyclable items on their rusty bicycle.

Always together: Yap (left) and Khoo seen walking hand-in-hand as they leave their favourite coffee shop in Klang yesterday.
For Yap, 64, is blind.

And it was an act of love more than a decade ago that cost him his vision.

He had gone for an operation for cataract on both eyes, with strict instructions from the doctors to rest.

His wife dutifully tucked him in bed and went to work, washing dishes at a restaurant.

“I knew there was no more money in the house. I am her husband, I should be the one putting food on the table,” said Yap.

So he stole out of bed and went to the construction site where he worked as a labourer.

He did not know what happened at the work site but remembered that halfway through carrying some bricks he lost his vision and then collapsed.

The doctors later told him that some veins in his eyes had burst because of the exertion.

Khoo has since become his ray of light.

“He is my husband. It is my responsibility to care for him and to love him, no matter what, said Khoo, who married Yap when they were in their 40s.

They make a living now collecting and selling recyclable items. At around 3pm, they are usually seen walking hand-in-hand to their favourite coffee shop for an afternoon cuppa.

“Life has not been easy but I am never lonely because I have him,” she said.

Yap said couples like them do not know much about lovey-dovey words.

“But I will take care of her until I die because I am her man and she is my woman. Isn’t that enough?” he asked.

When I read this, the much abused 1 Cor 13:4-8 immediately came to mind.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.
Truly, for this elderly couple, materially poor maybe, but rich in love, this Scripture finds its fulfillment. What an inspiration of the cost of love to the young people of today.

From the article Blind because of an act of love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this wonderful post...it was really nice reading it...well i'd also like you to visit my blog on Love Greeting Cards sometimes and share some of the love it's filled up with...and while you're at it do share your thoughts!!!