Wednesday, June 06, 2007

When night falls

No, this is not the beginning of a horror story. The post title comes from Joshua has wondered about what I do before I go to sleep.

Well, there's not much to tell. I'll try do an examination of conscience and pray Compline or Night Prayer before I turn in. It's a wonderful way to end the day. The steady weekly rhythms of Compline and commending one's spirit to God is the best way to end the day.

Here's the text for Compline for Wednesday. Beautiful! And the Shema. I always cover my eyes in the Jewish fashion. And the Nunc Dimittis. What a great way to end the night!

Compline (Night Prayer)

O God, come to my aid.
O Lord, make haste to help me.
Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,
world without end.
Amen. Alleluia.


This is an excellent moment for an examination of conscience. In a communal celebration of Compline, one of the penitential acts given in the Missal may be recited.

A suitable hymn may be inserted at this point.


Psalm 4
Thanksgiving
Take pity on me, Lord, and listen to my prayer.
When I called out, he heard me, the God of my righteousness.
When I was in trouble, you gave me freedom:
now, take pity on me and listen to my prayer.

Sons of men, how long will your hearts be heavy?
Why do you seek for vain things?
Why do you run after illusions?
Know that the Lord has done marvellous things
for those he has chosen.
When I call upon the Lord, he will hear me.

Be vigorous, but do not sin:
speak in the silence of your heart,
in your bed, be at rest.
Offer righteousness as a sacrifice,
and put your trust in the Lord.

Many are saying, Who will give us good things?
Let your face shine on us, Lord,
let the light of your face be a sign.
You have given me a greater joy
than the others receive
from abundance of wheat and of wine.
In peace shall I sleep, Lord, in peace shall I rest:
firm in the hope you have given me.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,
world without end.
Amen.
Take pity on me, Lord, and listen to my prayer.

Psalm 133 (134)
Evening prayer in the Temple
Bless the Lord through the night.
Come, bless the Lord,
all you servants of the Lord
who stand through the night in the house of the Lord!
Lift up your arms to the sanctuary
and bless the Lord!

May the Lord bless you from Sion –
the Lord, who made heaven and earth.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,
world without end.
Amen.
Bless the Lord through the night.

ReadingDeuteronomy 6:4-7 ©
Listen, Israel: the Lord our God is the one Lord. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength. Let these words I urge on you today be written on your heart. You shall repeat them to your children and say them over to them whether at rest in your house or walking abroad, at your lying down or at your rising.

Short Responsory?
Into your hands, Lord, I commend my spirit.
- Into your hands, Lord, I commend my spirit.
You have redeemed us, Lord, God of faithfulness.
- Into your hands, Lord, I commend my spirit.
Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit.
- Into your hands, Lord, I commend my spirit.

CanticleNunc Dimittis
Keep us safe, Lord, while we are awake, and guard us as we sleep, so that we can keep watch with Christ and rest in peace.
Now, Master, you let your servant go in peace.
You have fulfilled your promise.
My own eyes have seen your salvation,
which you have prepared in the sight of all peoples.
A light to bring the Gentiles from darkness;
the glory of your people Israel.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,
world without end.
Amen.
Keep us safe, Lord, while we are awake, and guard us as we sleep, so that we can keep watch with Christ and rest in peace.

Prayer
Let us pray.
Come, Lord, to our dwelling, and drive the snares of the enemy far away from it. Let your holy angels dwell in it and keep us in peace; and may your blessing be with us always.
Through Christ our Lord, Amen.

May the almighty Lord grant us a quiet night and a perfect end.
A M E N

An antiphon to Our Lady should be recited here.

I always end with the Salve Regina followed by a last "Into Thy hands O Lord, I commend my spirit".

If I haven't the time nor the energy, then I pray this brief little prayer:

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep;
And if I die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take.
May angels watch me through the night
and wake me with the morning light.
Amen.

And a prayer to my Guardian Angel, who's been working so hard to keep me alive and deserves a raise:

Angel of God,
my guardian dear,
to whom God's love commits me here,
ever this night,
be at my side
to light and guard,
to rule and guide.
Amen.

Then I lie down. Here's where Joshua's question really begins. What do I do after I lie down?
You know what they say, "No rest for the wicked" an all that but, well, sorry to disappoint, but the moment I lie down, 'Poof!', I'm out. I don't ponder the mysteries of the universe, I don't dream of standing before a crowd of millions or preaching the Gospel to the heathens. No. I do all that when I'm fully awake, not when I'm about to go to sleep. And I very seldom remember any of my dreams. All I remember before sleeping is closing my eyes and all I remember before waking up is falling asleep =) Haha...

Anyone else care to share their nightly routine (whilst keeping out the naughty bits, please).
Archistrategos? Fr. Daren? Fr. Dwight? Marks (yes, both the Ireland and Malaysian)? Shellie? Paul? Carolina? Anyone?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely prayers! Sadly my routine includes taking a load of medications!

God bless

Rita said...

Thank you for sharing your prayers. I said them tonight, and said one for your guaridan angel too! When I remember the scooter boys of Penang and the state of the roads, there must be a lot of guardian angels working flat-out to preserve life across the island. They deserve more credit than they get.

I also said one for your parish, I have happy memories of worshipping at the Immaculate Conception in Pulau Tikus.

God Bless you all

Andrew said...

Haha...Rita, as I ride a bike 20KM away to work, I need all the prayers I can get =)

Thanks for remembering us in prayer!

Anonymous said...

Indeed the attack was very violent. The german guy did not want to kiss the pope. The pope's bodymen had a lot of trouble subduing the guy, he was very violent and fought his way to the papamovil.

If something happens to this pope it would be tragic for the Catholic Church.

I do believe that Benedict XVI can learn a lot on prudence from his predecessors. He has spent these two years picking up fight with everyone. That is not the attitude of a pope.

humboldt said...

The pope's bodymen had a lot of trouble pulling the German away from the popemovil, which he had grabbed. And he stepped over people to breach the protecting bard. Very scary.

Rev. Daren J. Zehnle, J.C.L., K.C.H.S. said...

My nightly routine is rather simple, really.

If I have the 8:30 Mass it consists of watching As Time Goes By at 10:00. After that I doublecheck the alarm on my cell phone to be sure it's set properly. Next I tidy up my living room a bit and then head to my head room. I then pray Night Prayer, followed by a prayer to St. Francis and St. Anthony - nothing formal - asking their intercession for the coming day. I then turn off the light, my head hits the pillow, and generally I'm out like a night.

If I have the 6:30 Mass, I begin everything after the tv show about 9:30 or so, if possible.

Andrew said...

Wow, Father, you sleep much earlier than I thought. And Mass at 6.30? Yikes. We used to have them that early but the parish priest foud out that attendance improved drastically after it was moved to 7.

Thanks for sharing!